Friday, November 20, 2009

SQL Server Modeling November CTP Installation Problems

I had problems installing the "Oslo" November 2009 CTP, some of the Domains were not installed correctly.


First problem was due to the fact that I was using local SQL Server Express 2008.
I fixed this by manually installing domains after the installation.

  1. Open the "Microsoft SQL Server Modeling CTP Command Prompt" (Start -> Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server Modeling CTP)
  2. Install each of the missing domains by using mx tool. Type mx install Microsoft.Uml2.mx /server:.\sqlexpress /database:Repository /property:RepositoryChangeTracking=+ 
  3. It helped to explicitly use "/server:.\sqlexpress" for database server name
  4. Use this to install all of the missing domains by replacing the above "Microsoft.Uml2.mx" with appropriate .mx file. I've installed System.Runtime.mx, System.Identity.mx, and Microsoft.Uml2.mx this way.
Also, I received timeout while trying to run these commands. It was due to problems with login. In my case, it helped to add /t:Integrated as a final option in the above commands.


And, while trying to install the UML domain (Microsoft.Uml2.mx), I received error that is also mentioned in the Readme.htm file:




catalogentries.sql(43837,1): error M6040: Sql Exception: There is insufficient system memory in resource pool 'internal' to run this query.


This was caused by the fact that my machine (virtual machine) had 1GB RAM. Increasing RAM to 2GB on the machine helped to solve the problem.


Hope some of this will be helpful to you.

No comments: